Name: Thomas H. Greiner (그라이너토마스)
Location: Toronto, Canada
Hailing originally from Nürnberg, Germany, my family moved to Vancouver, Canada in 1997. Studying ‘Classical Archaeology’ at the University of British-Columbia, I graduated with a B.A. in 2008. I then spend a year abroad in Seoul, Korea teaching English as a Second Language (ESL). Along my travels, my passion for ancient Egypt remained strong and led me to begin studies for a M.A. in Egyptology at the University of Liverpool in the UK. I now live in Toronto, Canada, studying in the department of Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations at the University of Toronto.
2013 – Present: PhD in Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
Exploring the religious significance and material culture of lapis lazuli in ancient Egypt
2009 – 2011: M.A. in Egyptology
University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Dissertation Title: Lapis Lazuli, Obsidian and Systems of Exchange between Egypt and the Levant during the Naqada III Period
2001 – 2008: B.A. in Classical Archaeology
University of British-Columbia, Vancouver, BC
SFU Continuing Studies (2012 – 2013)
- “Supplicating the Gods: The Religion of Ancient Egypt” – six week course
- “Clearing the Sands: The Discovery of Egypt from Napoleon’s Time to the Present Day” – six week course
UBC Continuing Studies (2011 – 2012)
- “How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: Middle Egyptian” – six week course
- “Introduction to Egyptian Writing” – one day workshop
- Middle Egyptian
- Modern German – third year level
YBM Sisa Private School (2008 – 2009)
- ‘Being a Single Mummy in Vancouver’, Newsletter of the Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities Fall 2012 #3, 13.
- ‘Riddle of the Chocolate Sphinx’, Newsletter of the Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities Winter 2011-2012 #1, 12.
- “The Predynastic Period, 5500 – 3100 BCE” at Ancient Egypt Online <http://www.ancientegyptonline.org/aeoHTML/timeperiods/predynastic.html> accessed 23.02.2012.
Lectures & Presentations
- “Crocodiles, Mummies, and Ancient Egypt: Archaeological Perspectives”, SFU Continuing Studies Saturday Forum at Harbour Centre, Vancouver, BC
- “Lapis Lazuli and Long Distance Trade in the Late Predynastic”, 2012 SSEA Colloquium at the Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, ON
- “Lapis Lazuli and Long Distance Trade in the Late Predynastic”, Vancouver Chapter of the Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities (SSEA) at the Alliance for Arts & Culture, Vancouver, BC
- “Crocodiles, Mummies, and Ancient Egypt: Archaeological Perspectives”, SFU at Surrey City Centre Library, Surrey, BC
- “Introduction to Ancient Egypt: a Southern Perspective”, Lions Bay Library, Lions Bay, BC
- “Introduction to Ancient Egypt: a Southern Perspective”, West Vancouver Rotary Club, West Vancouver, BC
- “Lapis Lazuli, Obsidian and Systems of Exchange between Egypt and the Levant during the Naqada III Period”, Poster Presentation at the Third British Egyptology Congress, British Museum, London, UK
- “The Battle of Salamis”, Classical, Near Eastern and Religious Studies Students Association Lecture Series, University of British-Columbia, Vancouver, BC